Sunday, August 26, 2012

Art Supplies

I'm always curious about the supplies artists use to make their creations so I thought I'd talk a bit about what I use.  When I first started painting I had a million different supplies.  I had paint in every color, a ton of brushes, different mediums, palettes and every gadget imaginable.  I could go into the art supply store for one thing and come out with bags of art materials.

What I didn't know at the time is that having a ton of art supplies around will not make you a good painter.  Educating yourself and practice are what it takes.  A few years ago I noticed that the best painters in my class had very few supplies- usually just a small paint box, some brushes, a medium, palette and a limited number of colors.  I decided to do the same and it completely changed the way that I paint.  When I got rid of the clutter I became a much better painter.

My current palette consists of:

Titanium White
Cadmium Yellow Light
Cadmium Yellow Deep
Yellow Ochre
Cadmium Red
Burnt Sienna
Transparent Red Oxide
Burnt Umber
Raw Umber
Alizarin Crimson
French Ultramarine
Ivory Black

I use a variety of filbert brushes, 922 Medium, two palette knives (one large and one small) and turpenoid.  I paint on Innerglow Panels. I started using these a few years ago and doubt I'll ever go back to canvas.  These boards have a great surface to paint on so no prep is needed and they are double sided.  If you don't like your painting, just turn it over and start again.

With the exception of an easel, this is it. Using a limited palette of colors is actually much easier and the colors are better when you mix them yourself.


Last, but not least, my studio assistant. Every artists needs one.


No comments:

Post a Comment