Friday, August 10, 2012

Cityscape Painting

Every year my teacher, Gregg Kreutz, takes us on an outdoor painting trip here in New York City.  This year we went to Abingdon Square Park and Union Square.  Painting outside is always a challenge - you have to deal with weather, wind, changing light and of course all the people who want to chat with you while you are trying to paint.  It is all worth it though.  Some of my favorite paintings are the ones I have done outside here in the city.  Most important, we always have a great time and lots of fun. Here are a few shots from our weekend out.

This was the first painting I did in Abingdon Square Park.  I ended up wiping it down but looking at it now it wasn't too bad.  I just wasn't feeling it and when that happens I've learned it's best to just move on.


The next day I moved to just outside the park.  They have a great farmers market there on Saturday so I decided to paint the tents.  This turned out to be a great spot and the weather was perfect.

This is my painting of the farmers market and my favorite of the cityscapes I've done so far.

The next day we moved up to Union Square.  Union Square is always a challenge as it is loaded with people and it seems like they all want to chat with you!


This is the painting that I did that day.  Unfortunately, just as I was about to finish up, a huge wind gust came along and blew my easel over and the painting landed face down on the ground.  It was a wet oil painting so of course it was covered with dirt, sand and who knows what else.  I am still trying to rehabilitate it and will post a photo when it is finally finished.

You never know what is going to happen when you are painting outdoors and painting in the city is especially challenging, but so much fun and the paintings you end up with are unlike any place else.


Our teacher, Gregg Kreutz.  The man that makes it all happen. Thanks, Gregg!

No comments:

Post a Comment