Saturday, March 23, 2013

If You Try Sometimes, You Just Might Find, You Get What You Need

Yes, Mick and Keith had it right.  After months of looking for studio space and a few disappointments, I found a great place and now have my own workspace!  I can't tell you how happy I am with this development.  Not having my own space to paint was really becoming a problem and I'm so grateful to have found a nice place that faces north.

The space did, however, need a little love.  Luckily for me, Mr. NYCPainter is very handy and fixed the place up nicely.  

These were the walls before the patch and paint job.


My north facing window! (Yes, artists get very excited about things like that).


There was a huge crack in the wall that had to be repaired as well as a bunch of holes from the previous artist displaying his work.


The walls were then painted Benjamin Moore Ivory White.  This is not my ideal color for the walls.  That would be Benjamin Moore Country Life, a dark grayish green.  This is the color my teacher uses in his studio but as I am sharing I had to stick to a lighter palette.  The ivory white is working well so far.  Because it is not a stark white, there is not too much light bouncing around.


It is hard to see in these photos (it was pouring rain both days we were getting the walls in shape) but here they are fixed up and painted.


Next, drying racks were hung as well as a shelf for still life arrangements.  We also brought over all my equipment.  So nice to get my big easel out of my bedroom!

After we finished setting up, I finished up a painting that had been sitting around for a few weeks and needed some tweaking.


Sorry about the iphone photo.  I intended to go back and photograph the finished studio and the painting with my good camera but there is a furnace problem in the building, and with our perpetual thirty degree weather, it's a little La Boheme in there right now.  I'll be back there Wednesday to take  photos of the finished studio and the painting.

My new walls and window

I also brought over some glass vases and props for still life setups and picked up some new fabrics to use for backgrounds.  Now I'm on the hunt for some colorful and interesting pottery.  It is so much fun to be able to use my own props and make my own arrangements.

I hope you enjoyed this look at how my studio came together.  I will show it to you all finished as soon as the heat is back on!

Xo,
Frances



No comments:

Post a Comment