Thursday, April 18, 2013

Shell Game: An Art Show By Molly Crabapple

Last Saturday evening I had the pleasure of attending the backers opening night of  Shell Game, Molly Crabapple's show about the world wide financial meltdown.  Molly funded the show with an incredibly successful kickstarter and I was thrilled to be able to support her in this artistic endeavor.  Not only did I think the project was a fantastic idea, but I'm happy to be able to support Molly because I've learned so much from her over the years.

I first discovered Molly through her articles in the now defunct Art Calendar (RIP) magazine.  She wrote about marketing yourself and your art in a way I'd never heard before.  Her articles focused on marketing yourself and getting your art out there rather than sitting around waiting to be discovered by an art gallery.  As many of us know, that probably will not happen and if you don't want to be a starving artist with your paintings piling up in your living room, you have to make your success happen.

The second reason I felt such a connection with Molly is because she was literally the first artist I'd seen featured in the magazines who was not working in some giant home studio or enormous downtown loft.  She was very open about creating her art work in her little Brooklyn apartment.  I had the feeling that if she could do it, so could I.


If you are in New York City, please stop by and see the show.  If you can't make it to the gallery, here are a few of the paintings  (These are thumbnails from Molly's web page.  We were asked not to take photos at the opening so please click over to her site to see the whole series).




I'll end this post now before I begin to sound like a creepy fangirl, but just want to say that if there is a project or artist on kickstarter that you admire, help them out.  It's a great thing to see art come to fruition.

Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment