Sunday, May 26, 2013

Blue And White

If you look through my still life paintings you will see that I love to use blue and white pieces in my set ups.  As I mentioned in this post, I've been on the hunt for props for my new studio.  I got myself a bunch of fabrics and I already had a lot of silver and crystal, but I did not have any blue and white china.  Here are some examples of how I have used the blue and white props in my paintings.






These are just a few examples.  I have many more, but the blue and white props do not belong to me.  These were all painted in my teacher's studio.  Now that I have my own space, it was time to get my own things.

First, I went to ebay, thinking I'd find some great deals, but that was not to be.  Much of what I found there was very overpriced, some were even up in the hundreds.  Obviously, that was not happening.  Not only was the price out of my range, but you don't want to over spend on still life props.  Accidents happen and a few will always get broken and the ones that survive long term will eventually end up with paint and other spots and stains on them.  Next I tried poking around some vintage stores.  Again, most things were overpriced, but I did find one vase to get me started.

Last weekend, on a whim, my hubby put estate sales into Craigslist and I hit the jackpot.  He spotted a sale to sell the contents of "Grandma's finely furnished home" and there was a shot of the dining room packed with blue and white!  We got ourselves out there asap as it was already noon and I was afraid that everything would be gone, but the still life gods were with me and I found a treasure trove of beautiful things.

Here is what I bought at the sale.  There were many pieces still there, but I took my time and only bought what I would want to use in the paintings.  If I had a large space to display everything, I would have bought it all, but that will have to wait until I win the powerball and buy my townhouse.




Aren't they beautiful?  I can't wait to get them over to my studio so I can paint these great pieces.  Grandma had many beautiful things.  She obviously had impeccable taste and a great eye.  The sale was run by a professional company so there were no family members around, which was a shame.  I would have loved to find out more about Grandma as I could tell from her house and her belongings that she must have been a very interesting lady.  In fact, I'm still obsessing over her house and if it wasn't so far out from the city and too far from the subway, I would have put in a bid then and there.  There was even a glass enclosed sunroom that I was dying over.  Could you imagine painting in there all day?  I sure could.

If you love blue and white like I do, check out The Enchanted Home.  Tina has a serious blue and white obsession and her amazing house is filled with gorgeous pieces.  She also has a shop with some beautiful blue and white items available.

Also, Robert Johnson, a great artist and teacher of mine uses blue and white in his still life paintings as well.  Click on over to see them.  They are really beautiful.  In fact, it was in a weekend workshop with him that I first discovered using blue and white pieces and how great they look in a painting.

I'm very excited to get to work with my new things.  Of course, I'll post the new paintings as soon as they are ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment