Thursday, May 2, 2013

Field Trip To The Metropolitan Museum Of Art

Over the winter my teacher, Gregg Kreutz, took us on a trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I have a habit of going to the museum and looking at the same things all the time, so it was great to go and see art that I was unfamiliar with.  I took a ton of pictures, but I'll just show a few here.

Rembrandt

I love everything about this painting.  Rembrandt was the master of portraits and self portraits and we study his work often.

Woman With A Pink, Rembrandt

Somehow, Woman With A Pink was never on my radar, but since seeing it at the museum, I've become completely obsessed with it.  It is one of the most beautiful paintings I have ever seen.  According to the  Met Museum website a pink is a carnation, a symbol of love and marriage.





Here is a photo of one of my all time favorite paintings, Madame X, by John Singer Sargent.  Sargent's painting of Madame Virginie Gautreau created a scandal in when it was shown at the Paris Salon.  The strap of her gown was shown falling down her right shoulder.  It is hard to imagine today, but in 1884 people were shocked and scandalized by the painting.  Sargent eventually repainted the strap so it was shown securely on Madame Gautreau's shoulder.


The master of all things floral and still life, Henri Fantin-Latour.




I will do an in depth post about Fantin-Latour some time, but for now I will just say that he is an incredible inspiration to me and I've learned so much from studying his paintings.

I'll leave you with a group shot from our outing.  We had a great day and hope to do it again sometime.  




I've got many more photos to show you, so stay tuned!

Frances




No comments:

Post a Comment