Sunday, November 3, 2013

One Down, Two To Go….

If you recall my last post, I was working on three paintings at the same time.   Luckily, I finished one of them yesterday.


This is what I started out with.  Not bad, but it needed some tweaking.  That shadow in the lower right hand corner was too stark and the front line of the table cloth was a bit off.  I fixed the line (thank heavens for the t-square) and then I softened up the shadow on the right by adding a little more of the lighter color of the cloth to it.


I also darkened up the shadow on the right side of the background. I then used the same color to soften the back edge of the table cloth as well as add a bit of shadow to the top plane of the right hand side.


Another change I made was to lighten up the leaf in the very front of the greenery.  You always want to  have one leaf or flower stand out so that the whole bunch does not look flat.


I decided to add a green grape on the right side of the painting as I felt there was a bit too much space there, but something was not sitting right with me.  After a few minutes I realized what it was:  there were eight pieces of fruit.  You always want to have an odd number of objects as it is more pleasing to the eye.  I added another grape and then it was finally finished.



There was a lot of excruciating minutia involved to get this painting done, but that is how it really works.  I always laugh when I see an artist portrayed in the movies or on tv and they make a masterpiece in a day.  Much of the art of painting involves fixing mistakes and making tiny changes that add up to a completed painting.

After I finished this up, I had some time to spend on the dahlias.  Yesterday was my last long painting day so we'll see how this week goes as I get adjusted to the new time ( I am so not a morning person).

Have a great Sunday everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment