Sunday, March 30, 2014

I Was Getting Ready to Paint Some Hydrangeas...

Last week at TJ's they had some beautiful hydrangea plants, so of course I had to buy one to use in a still life.


Pretty, right?  I was all set up and ready to go, when I happened to look over to my left and spotted a canvas that I had decided to paint over.  I decided to put that canvas on my easel and take a good look at it.  A few weeks ago I was planning to paint over it, but Gregg was emphatic that I leave it alone and try to work on it.  I don't know why, but I picked up a brush, dipped it into some cadmium red light and started painting.


I never even stopped to take pictures or take one before I started.  This was a figure painting I did a few years ago.  It was one of my first and not great, though it did have some good aspects to it (the head, face and upper body).  The rest of it was not great.  I also felt that the shadow lines were way too harsh around the right shoulder and on both sides of the neck.

I've painted models in wraps before, so once I got started I just went with it.  It's hard to tell in the photo, but in person it looks like she just threw a very sheer wrap over herself.  I also lightened up the dark lines so they did not stand out so much.

I'm much happier with the painting now.  Just last week Gregg and I were discussing adjusting or updating old paintings and how being able to do that is a real sign of progress for an artist.  Needless to say I'm very happy I was able to do fix this painting and I have started on another updating project.




This photo is not the best, but the light was gone at this point.  If it ever stops raining and the painting dries I will take a proper photo and put it in the drop down menu.

I did finally start the hydrangeas that day as well and they are coming along.  The flowers are already done. Now it is time to start work on the planter.


I quickly put in the placement and background after finishing the figure.  The next day I got down to work with the plant itself.


  I hope to have this painting finished up in a few days.  One thing about flowers, you can't just sit around and procrastinate.  They are on their own timetable.  I'll post the finished photos as soon as I'm done.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!



2 comments:

  1. You are soooo talented!!! I am featuring you and another artist on my blog today as some who have been inspired by some of my pictures/items. I will be writing you about your items in a bit...you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina!! I'm thrilled that you like my work. Your blog and shop are amazing. Thanks again!

      Delete