As you know, I have been going crazy with this vase. No matter what I did the shape of it did not look right to me. Yesterday, I finally realized that I had the shape completely backward. If you look at the top of the vase, you'll notice that the top is the widest part of the vase. I had things going in the opposite direction.
I had the widest part of the vase under the highlight. It's hard to believe that it took so long, but when I realized this yesterday I was finally able to paint the shape correctly.
The vase is now finally painted with the correct shape. It's hard to believe that I have been looking at this set up for weeks and just realized the problem yesterday, but that happens sometimes. You look and look and then finally you see the problem.
I'm also happy to report that I finally have the coloring of the pot the way I want it. If you look at the pot it just looks like an off white vase, but it is so much more than that. In addition to the dark, middle and lightest shades of white, it has a layer of Indian Yellow over the entire thing. The vase really needed to be warmed up and this extra layer of paint really helped. It still needed something else but I was not sure what. Luckily I was with Gregg yesterday and he suggested using some patches of Transparent Red Oxide and that did the trick.
I'm very happy that the long saga of the vase is over. I have to redo the leaves coming out of the pot and I still want to work on the grapes. I've painted them about ten times already, but I'm still not happy with them. I'm not worried though. Eventually one of those grape painting sessions will be the charm and the painting will be finished!
*Just my usual disclaimer. I was not given products or payment by any of the companies linked to in the post.