Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pink Hydrangeas Redux

Remember I said the pink hydrangeas were done?  Turns out they needed a bit more work.  I went to my studio intending to sign the painting, but you know me.  I found one little thing that needed work and that led to a few other changes.  I'm not sure anyone but me will notice the difference, but here are the updated photos.


This is where I left off last week.  When I went back to the studio I realized a few things.  Number one, the fabrics.    If you look at the right edge of the white cloth you'll notice it is very bright and the highlight on the pot is close to it.  That indicates that the grey cloth that is right next to the white cloth should be brighter as well.


I lightened up the cloth and darkened up the shadow so now the white cloth looks more like it is sitting on top of the grey fabric.

The second issue I wanted to deal with was in the flower arrangement itself.  The flower on the right is the one that was closest to my light source so it needed to be lightened up a bit.  In real life it did not look that much different from the others, but for the painting, it needed to pop a bit.

The middle flower also needed some work.  Gregg taught me that with flower arrangements, one flower should always be the star.  I decided to pump up the color on that flower to make it stand out a bit from the rest.


This is the "finished" shot I posted on Instagram.  Of course ten minutes later I decided the flowers needed a little more work so I added a few more light and dark petals and then it was really done.


This is it!  I'm not going to touch it again.  I know this sounds like a lot of excruciating minutiae, but I did not want to call the painting done until it was the very best it could be.

I'm still working on the still life I showed you last week.  Despite my hopes of having it done yesterday, it is slow going.  That vase is not easy, but I'm hoping it will be done soon.

Have a good day everybody!




No comments:

Post a Comment