Saturday, June 21, 2014

Still Life Redux

I've finished a few paintings over the last couple of weeks, but I'm going to write about this one first.


Do you remember this set up?  I think I began this back in February or March.  I thought it was going to be very easy to do, but as it turned out, this painting was just the opposite.


This was the original block in.  I worked on the painting for a few weeks, but it never really came together.  Add in models coming and going and flowers starting to appear at the markets and it got pushed to the sidelines for awhile.



I did work on it a bit in between other projects.  After I realized that the shape of my vase was wrong, things went a bit more smoothly, but there were still issues.  The most difficult: the white cloth.  If you look at the photo of the still life set up, the cloth was beautifully draped, but I just could not get those folds to look the way I wanted them to.  After several weeks of trying, I decided it was time to move the cloth so that it was easier to paint.  It was still a battle as the cloth looked like it was flowing as it hung off the shelf, but after many coats of paint I finally got it.


I was finally happy with the vase and the cloth, but I felt the painting was still missing something.  I decided to add another spray of leaves behind the orange slice on the right.  A still life should be set up as a triangle so the eye moves from one side of the painting to the other and I felt there was a bit of a gap on the right hand side.


This is the finished painting.  A long haul to be sure, but definitely worth it.  I'm very glad to have this painting done and I'm so happy I did not give up on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment