Now on to the new painting. If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I was painting a small set of peonies since the beginning of the summer. It started one day when I was on my way to the studio. I saw a man at a farmers market with some peonies so I bought a couple, stuck them in a vase and went to work. I had no idea that I would end up doing three different bouquets in two different studios before it was finally finished!
This was the original set up. Not very exciting, I know. But my main goal was just to get the peonies on the canvas and worry about the rest later.
Even though I am lucky enough to have air conditioning in my studio, peonies do not last very long. I bought another bouquet, but of course they were different from the first, so I ended up changing the painting to the new flowers.
I was painting in a friends studio and there was a seller with some great peonies nearby, so I salvaged what I could from the first bouquet and then added the new flowers. Unfortunately, they lasted less time than the first bouquet, so I replaced them yet again.
Back in my studio, I worked on the flowers and refined the vase as well. The vase was a bit tricky because of the rectangular shape, but after a few tries I got the shape and color that I wanted.
At this point I thought it was done, but you know me. I was looking at the painting in my studio and realized that a few things needed some improvement. There needed to be a little more light on the vase and the middle flower needed to be much lighter.
This is the finished painting. Don't mind that dry patch on the right. As soon as the painting is fully dried (about six weeks), I will varnish it and the color will be uniform.
I'm in the middle of another peony painting right now. I'll have it up as soon as it's finished, but you know me. It could be awhile!