Sunday, August 17, 2014

More Painting In The Comune di Assisi

As I said in this post, upon our first visit to the Comune di Assisi, we fell in love and ended up spending all of our painting time there.  The little square is so beautiful, and the people so artist friendly, that we had no desire to go anyplace else.

I took a ton of photos of the Comune, but I was so into my painting that I did not document those very well!  Not good for an art blogger, but I will show you what photos I do have.

I worked on this painting over two mornings.






This is a little trattoria opposite from the fountain.  I simply turned my easel around while standing in the same spot under the pharmacy awning. The sun was very bright and the awning and umbrella were such fun to paint.

But I have to tell you, eating in the trattoria was even better than painting it!  The restaurant was closed on most of the days we were there, but one afternoon they opened up and we quickly made a reservation.   The lunch I had there was one of the best meals I've ever eaten in my life.
I just had a farro/veggie soup and some roasted veggies and potatoes, but it was absolutely delicious.  We were all set to go back the next day, but they never opened up again while we were there.


I also spent one day painting the Chiesa Nuova church.  I did not go in the church, but there is a small cell in there where St. Francis was locked up by his father so he would not give up his wealth to follow God.   There are many churches in Assisi, but this one seemed to attract the most visitors.  Across the alley way from the church was a tunnel made of heavy stone, and it was so nice and cool in there that I spent the whole day painting inside it.





As you can see from the photos, the sky was changing throughout the day.  When I got there in the morning, it looked like it was ready to pour, then the sun started coming out, and then it was beautiful. Things can change very quickly while painting outdoors so you have to be ready for anything.


This is my one day painting of the church.  I had intended to go back to that spot and work on it some more, but it didn't happen.


School and religious groups gathered in front of the church every day and the courtyard was always quite busy.  I was glad I was able to paint in my little tunnel.

On the other side of the church was another fantastic trattoria.  They had the best farro estivo (farro and beans) that I've ever tasted.  Can you tell I'm missing the food?


Sitting outside to eat was the perfect break from painting.


This is the cover of the menu.  I love how they change what they serve based on the season.

I have some other paintings from the trip to show you, but I'm going to put them in a separate post.  Have a great Sunday everybody!




No comments:

Post a Comment