Sunday, March 1, 2015

Havana, Cuba: The Classic Cars

Upon returning home from Cuba, the number one question I received was about the cars.  Everyone wanted to know:  what did they look like? Did they really exist? What was their condition?  I'm happy to report that the cars do exist and I even got a ride in one or two.



I spent much of my time painting on the Paseo de Marti, a grand boulevard that reminded all of us of the great streets in Europe.  There is a huge median that divides the street in half.  People walk there, hang out, people watch, play chess and just generally enjoy life in the city.  The cars are everywhere on either side of the median, so I was able to get some great shots.

Paseo de Marti





Many of the cars double as taxis, and one night we got a ride home in a '57 Chevy!










Tuesday seemed to be the day people got married.  After the wedding ceremony, couples would get into a convertible and be driven around and everyone on the street waved to them.  It looked like such a fun way to celebrate.








It was such fun seeing and riding in these cars.  Enjoy the rest of the weekend and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment