Monday, March 2, 2015

The Brass Pot Done Twice

I don't usually paint metal, but every once in awhile, I like to do something besides my beloved blue and white.  I began this painting in the fall.  I was setting up a still life and decided to throw the pot in so I could practice painting brass.



I got so involved in the painting that I did not take a photo of the block in, but this is the painting after the second day.


As you can see, I just blocked in the colors and the shadows.  On day three it began to look like a painting.


This is always a fun time in the painting process.  Your vision begins to come to life and you can start adding in the fun details like patterns and highlights.



This is the finished painting.  I was so happy with how this painting came out, that I decided to go back to a still life of the brass pot that I did years ago.  Unfortunately, I cannot find the original photo, but take my word for it, it was not good.  I don't feel bad about that as it was the best I could do at the time, but since I had the opportunity to fix it, I did.



Luckily, I showed it to Gregg, and he found the problem right away.  I had the pot and the bowl at the same height.  Not only was that incorrect, but it did not help the painting at all.  I have no idea where that bowl is, so it was very lucky that I did not have to do anything with it.

I started by repainting the background to add more shadow.  I then repainted the blue cloth as I did not have the first clue about painting patterns when I did it.  I also painted over the fruit and the yellow pot in front.  The shadow on that had not been very strong and the little vase really needed it.


I spent quite a bit of time on the cloth and the yellow vase, but it was worth every minute.  I'm so happy with this painting now! (As usual, I will varnish and properly photograph these paintings as soon as the frozen tundra that is NYC finally melts) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment