Thursday, June 18, 2015

A Small Still Life

As regular readers of this blog know, I work on medium to large canvases unless I'm painting outdoors.  But I recently got the urge to do a small still life.  I have to say, it took me as long to paint this little 9x12 as it did the 16x20 before it.

Unfortunately, I seem to have forgotten to take a photo of the original set up, but here is my initial block in.


After the block in was completed, I put in the background, then the shadows and color.



I always like to get the entire canvas covered the first day of a painting.  It makes it much easier the for the next time you work on it.


This shot was around day three of this painting.  At this point I got fed up with the pears and replaced them with lemons.  This worked out very well for two reasons.  One, pears are the hardest fruit for me to paint.  Number two is that the lemons provided a good pop of color that the painting needed.  In the photo above I felt everything looked too alike and it did not make for an interesting painting.


I just finished the painting this weekend.  I'm very happy with how it turned out.  It was a bit of a struggle doing a small still life, but it is always good to challenge yourself. However, the new painting I just started is an 18x24 :)

2 comments: