Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Still Life Workshop With Gregg Kreutz At The Art Guild Of Port Washington

If you're thinking that I have been spending a lot of time at The Art Guild lately, you would be right.
There have been a bunch of fun events happening, and this past weekend they held a still life workshop with my teacher, Gregg Kreutz.

 We had thirteen still life set ups to create, so we spent the day before the workshop getting everything ready.


This was a massive undertaking that required lots of time, schlepping, trips to the grocery store, and moving things around, but we got it done and everyone loved the set ups.

The workshop started off with Gregg giving a demo for us.






As you can see, he started by just getting the composition and then blocking in the shadows and color.  This was the painting after about 40 minutes (!).

After the demo it was time for everyone to get started.  The group ranged from beginners to experienced painters, but everyone did a great job.



This was my set up.



This was my painting at the end of the day.  I just managed to get it blocked in.




Day two began with a continuation of the demo.  Everyone was anxious to see how the painting would go on from the initial block in.  Many of the workshop participants also wanted to see how Gregg handled painting grapes as some people found them quite difficult.  Personally, I was in peach hell, but that is another saga all together.








This is the painting at the end of the demo.  All this done in about 90 minutes!




At the end of the workshop, everyone gathered outside with their paintings so we could all see what had been done.





As you can see, there were many beautiful paintings.  Do you know who did not have a beautiful painting to display?  Me.  My lighting was not great so that hampered me a bit, and for some inexplicable reason I chose to work on a 16x20 sized canvas.  Why I did that I will never know as I am the slowest painter in the world. I should have known there was no way I could finish, but it will be fine.  Luckily, all the objects I was painting belonged to me, so I will simply finish the painting on my own.

Everyone had such a good time that we are talking about having a second workshop in the spring.  Thanks to Gregg and The Art Guild for a great painting weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment