I finished up a new still life yesterday afternoon. This painting was a bit of a departure from my normal style, but it was fun to paint - at the end anyway. I was a bit nervous in the middle that this one might not make it, but I'm happy to report all turned out well in the end.
Before I start, please excuse the quality of the photos. For reasons I have not been able to figure out, my computer keeps rejecting photos from my camera. I had to shoot everything with my phone and iPad.
This is the set up. I painted the large black vase years ago, and it was fun to do it again, though of course I added a little blue and white to the mix.
This was the initial block in. I was very happy to have the canvas covered the first day since I was painting over an old cityscape. Once I had the colors in I could begin the real work of turning this into a painting.
This was my second time working on the painting. It was around this time that I started getting nervous as to whether or not this one was going to make it. It was very difficult to get the paint to look the way I wanted it to, but after completing it I realize it just needed many coats of paint to achieve the desired effect.
This was the end of day three. The painting was starting to look somewhat like I wanted it to, but I was still concerned that this one would be a bust.
This was the fourth and last session. I feel like I finally got the colors the way I wanted them and the grapes, which I did about fifty times, finally look like grapes. I shot this on the easel with my iPad. As soon as I figure out my camera issues I will update this post with a new photo.