Sunday, December 6, 2015

Art Inspires Ashland Painting Workshop

A few weeks ago my teacher, Gregg Kreutz, did a painting workshop in Ashland, Oregon for
Art Inspires Ashland.  The Ashland Art Center put on talks, workshops and panel discussions for the weekend.

Since Gregg is my teacher and two of my best buddies live in Ashland, I was thrilled to be a part of the workshop.

Gregg was doing a workshop with still lives and a model, so we started out by setting up the still lives for people who wanted to do that.



Doing still life set ups for a workshop is a bit like being a stylist.  You get a bunch of flowers, fruit and props and arrange them until you have a set up that is pleasing to the eye.


  We also set up a model on the opposite side of the room.  The artists in this workshop were fast painters, unlike me, so many went back and forth between the two.



That evening, there was a lovely cocktail party followed by talks given by the participating instructors.


The following morning, the three day painting workshop began.  Gregg usually starts out his workshops by doing a demo.  Our model requested no photos during the workshop, but she was beautiful and held a great pose.

After the demo it was time to get to work.  I chose to do the still life with the red roses.  I somehow neglected to take a picture of the set up, but it is the still life on the right in the photo above.


This was my block in. This still life was a challenge as it had a few elements I had not painted before.   I never paint pomegranates and the red fabric on the right was very complicated.  I'm also not the best workshop painter.  As you know, I am a pretty slow painter, so when I am working with a deadline and not in my own studio, I don't usually produce my best work.



Through out the workshop, Gregg would go around helping students with various problems they were trying to work out.  Many of the students were not used to doing still life paintings, so we were able to get a lot of demo time.


This was my painting at the end of day two.  I had my lights and darks, but would never have put in the pattern so early.  I like to have my objects just right before I do the pattern, but I was running out of time.


We started our third and final day with Gregg doing a still life demo for us.  I was pretty far away, but you can see how he starts.  Very loose and painterly.  You don't have to worry about getting everything exactly right at this point.  




After the background is in, then it is time to cover the rest of the canvas.  The demos are usually thirty minutes, then we get back to work on our own paintings, though there were times everyone wished we could just keep watching Gregg paint.



This was my painting at crunch time.  I had about an hour left to get done.  I didn't of course, but I'm pretty happy with how things ended up.



This was my final shot at the end of day three.  Not bad at all for a workshop painting.  I may tweak this a bit now that it is dry.  I'm happy with the roses and the fabric, but I think the rest of it could use a bit of work.

I had a great time at this workshop and I loved the town of Ashland.  Great food, shops and people there.  I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment