Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Book Review: Oil Painting Essentials By Gregg Kreutz

Hi Everyone,

I'm very excited to finally be able to share this with you.  Gregg Kreutz's new book, Oil Painting Essentials, Mastering Portraits, Figures, Still lifes, Landscapes, and Interiors is out today.

As regular readers of this blog know, Gregg has been my friend and teacher for many years.  I was lucky enough to see parts of the book as it was being written and photographed, but seeing the book as a whole has been very exciting.



I'll start off with my favorite thing about the book:  it actually describes how to improve your paintings.  That is something not easily found in art books, but in my opinion it is the most important.   An author just droning on about how to make a painting great is not helpful to me.  Oil Painting Essentials has step by step instructions for everything from how to begin a painting to setting up a still life to how to wrap up and everything in between.

Copper Pot, 18x25, Gregg Kreutz

This is a page I shot from the book to illustrate how to begin a painting.  The book is filled with great tutorials like this.

Dark Glass, 10x12, Gregg Kreutz

Mexican Pitcher, 18x24, Gregg Kreutz


Brass And Gold, 12x16, Gregg Kreutz

Still Life With Chinese Screen, 24x28, Gregg Kreutz


Above are some of Gregg's still life paintings.  I'm so glad the vase above has been immortalized as I leaned on a shelf and broke it :(  The book covers still life, portraits, landscapes and interiors as well as drawing and painting the figure.



Another page of the book.


Below The Manhattan Bridge, 42x34, Gregg Kreutz


Assisi Morning, 14x12, Gregg Kreutz


Paris Street, 18x22, Gregg Kreutz


House On The Ridge, 14x18, Gregg Kreutz

The Framer, 28x24, Gregg Kreutz

On The Table Cloth, 27x22, Gregg Kreutz

The Set Up, 22x30, Gregg Kreutz

Golden Earring, 24x20, Gregg Kreutz

One of my favorite parts of the book is the section on painting studio landscapes.  As you may recall, I went nuts a few months ago trying to turn small field paintings in to large studio landscapes.  I was not very successful so I'm excited to get into the studio and give these lessons a try.

All of the beautiful images above are in the book and there are many more.  The book is so beautifully done it could stand alone as a coffee table book, but it is so chock full of information that it belongs in the studio.  I've been in Gregg's class for many years and I learned so much from reading the book.  Whether you are a brand new painter, have been painting for years or just like to look at great art, this is the book for you.

Obviously I'm biased, but I hope you'll order the book and give these lessons a try.  You can order the book here.  If you do, please leave me a comment and let me know how you like it.

PS: If you are in the New York City area, On June 14, 2016, Gregg will be doing a talk and book signing at 7pm at the Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC.  Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment