This was the original set up. I started out with a mix of pears, grapes and plums. After I worked on the painting for awhile, I decided that the plums were not working and replaced them with more red grapes.
And here is a good tip that an artist friend told me a few years ago: when you are painting wine, instead of opening a real bottle, use grape juice! It works great and you don't have to waste the real thing.
As you can see, I originally thought I would paint this set up vertically, but it just wasn't working out. I started over on the horizontal side and it looked much better. When doing your initial block in, don't be afraid to wipe it out and start over as many times as needed. It is much easier to fix problems at this point than after you are way into the painting.
The initial color block in.
Getting the wine carafe done was the hardest part of this painting. I just could not get the shape, but I continued with the rest of the painting while working on the carafe.
At one point, I got so frustrated, I turned the canvas upside down!
When I got to this point in the painting, I realized that I needed to darken up my shadows. Sometimes as you get farther into the painting, you have to make adjustments even though everything was looking okay at the beginning. I also added the lace cloth. That turned out to be the easiest part of the painting and I was expecting the opposite. You just never know how things will go until you get started.
Things are looking so much better here. Now the objects have the proper dimension.
This is the finished painting, just after I signed it this afternoon.
It is great to have this painting finished. There were a few times when I was feeling that this one was going to be a wipe out, but I'm so glad I kept going. Now I will get back to work on my lilies. I've also made a few changes to my studio and I'll update you guys on that in my next post.
Have a great weekend!