Thursday, November 3, 2016

Peruvian Lilies In A Blue And White Vase

I recently finished a floral still life of an alstroemeria bouquet in a blue and white porcelain vase.  Luckily alstroemeria are also known as Peruvian lilies because my brain absolutely refuses to remember the word alstroemeria.



This was my original set up.  I did end up making a small change.  I moved the writing on the vase to face me instead of being off to the side.  After that it was a race against time to get the flowers painted.  Luckily for me, they lasted for awhile.  I was able to get enough information down to finish the painting after the flowers were no longer with us.



My block in.  This went down surprisingly fast, which was good for me because that left more time to work on the flowers.




I was so crazed with trying to get done as soon as possible that I did not take many photos, but this was the end of my fourth day with the painting.  It took a few coats of paint to make the vase look like porcelain, but that is the key:  just keep adding paint and eventually it works.  I also had to do the leaves from memory.  I had the lights and darks down, but then I needed to make them look like leaves and not two slashes of dark and light green paint.  I have painted a lot of leaves in my day so I was able to do a decent job of it.



Then it was time for the pattern.  Gregg always jokes that I wait until the very end of the painting and then do the pattern in five minutes, and he's right.  I don't know why I do it that way, but it seems to work for me.





Here is the finished painting.  It needs a good varnishing, which I will do in a few weeks.  I'm really happy with how this one turned out.  Nothing better than pink flowers in a blue and white vase!

No comments:

Post a Comment