Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Gregg Kreutz Workshop At The Scottsdale Artists' School

Hey Everyone.  I'm back from a great still life/figure workshop at the Scottsdale Artists' School.  My teacher, Gregg Kreutz, was the instructor for the workshop and we all had a great time.

The week long class was a mix of still life and figure.  Since I do still life all the time, I decided to concentrate on painting the models.



We started the first day with Gregg doing a demo of our beautiful model, Dani.







This is the finished demo.  Just beautiful and done in two and a half hours while answering questions from the students.  (Sorry for the glare in the photo.  We had overhead light, which is not great for photos).

Then it was time for us to begin painting.  It's been quite some time since I have painted a figure so I was a little rusty, but got back into it in no time.



This was my view of the lovely Dani.  Side views are so hard for me to do.  It's much easier to paint a model who is facing you, but in a workshop that will probably not be the case.



This is my block in.  That was the easy part.  The hard part is getting the flesh color right and of course, the features on the face have to be correct.  With a model or figure, the viewer can tell immediately if something is out of place, so it's really important to take the time to get it right.




This was the end of the first three hour session.




And this was the end of the second three hour painting session.  My regular readers know that what I really needed was a full week (or more) on this pose.  I'm a very slow painter, and I'm happy with what I got done, but I would have loved to bring home a finished portrait.



Luckily for me, the next pose was for two full days.  Here we had the lovely Kyla posing for us.





For this pose, I was looking at a three quarter view, so as Gregg explained, the face is no longer an oval.




Here is the block in.  This painting was actually a bit easier since I was using a larger canvas.



This is where I left off at the end of day one.  The canvas was covered and the most important part, her face, was in good shape.





Here is the finished painting.  Of course, I wouldn't have minded an extra day or two on this, but I'm happy with it.



We had three models while we were there, and they were all beautiful, professional and could hold a pose.  It was really a pleasure to paint these women.


.

And... here is my painting of Kyla the last time I saw it!  There was a bit of a delay in the UPS pick up, so I'm hoping it arrives soon and all in one piece.  As I said on Instagram, say a prayer to the art gods for me that the painting arrives intact.

Scottsdale Artists' School was a great place for a workshop.  I'll have pics of the school and Scottsdale in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment