About two weeks ago, I finished up a new still life and luckily was able to get a signature on it yesterday.
This was the set up. I had not done colored glass in years, so it was fun to try something different.
The placement went very smoothly, which is usually a good sign that the painting will go well.
Here is the original block in, as well as a side by side (or top and bottom in this case). As you can see, the bottle is already starting to look like colored glass. It is simply Ultramarine Blue with some Ivory Black added in the darker areas.
I believe this was after the fourth painting session. This painting really didn't have too many difficulties, it just needed a lot of layers to achieve the effect I was going for. At this point I was happy because the vase was looking like porcelain and the bottle was looking like glass. There was one element that was driving me bonkers though: the oranges! They made me absolutely crazy. I cannot tell you how many times I painted them, scraped them down and then painted them again. I had the shadows and the colors right, but could not seem to get the bumpy skin that these small oranges have to look realistic.
In the meantime, I put in the pattern on the vase and did the cutout on the lace cloth. I also added in a few of the folds on the background fabric. I felt that the right side of the painting needed something as the blue bottle was so strong on the left.
The lace and the blue pattern went in very easily, but I was still struggling with the oranges. They really drove me nuts. That was one of those situations where you just have to keep going. You don't want to give up on the painting all together, or, even worse - settle for something that is not quite right. When you are sick to death of dealing with something, put it aside for a bit and then come back to it. My regular readers know that I usually have two or three paintings going at once and this is one of the reasons why. When I'm fed up with one, I just work on another.
And here is the finished painting. I took this right on the easel. It is seriously in need of a varnishing, but that is a few months away, and I wanted to show you the finished piece. I'm still working on some hydrangeas, and lilacs have started appearing so I'll probably be starting up a new floral soon.
I'm hoping to be blogging on a regular basis, but in the mean time, I'm still active on Instagram if you would like to see what I'm up to.