Thursday, July 10, 2014

Ch-Ch-Changes

Hi Everyone,

I hope all of you are enjoying the summer.  I've been very busy painting and working on my updating project.  This weekend I finished two more paintings.

I originally began work on this painting last October.  I painted it on and off but after letting it sit for a few months, I realized it needed something more before I could call it done.



This was the original set up.  The finished painting bears no resemblance to this.  Unfortunately, I seem to have forgotten to document the process, so I'll just show you the finished painting.

The Purple Flowers, 12x16, oil

Everything on the canvas has been done for months with the exception of the flowers.  I knew I wanted to add something to the top half of the painting, and when I was wandering around the farmers market this past Saturday, I spotted these gorgeous purple stems and knew they would do the trick.

Next, I finally finished this still life that I have been working on for years.  Yes, I originally painted this about five years ago, but as I gained more knowledge I realized that it needed some work.  Even after I repainted it I was still not happy.  I just couldn't get the green bottle the way I wanted it.



This was the first re-do, but I was just not happy with the bottle.  The light green just did not work for me.  I let the painting sit for awhile, then luckily I happened upon a great dark green bottle.  You know me, I painted the old one right out and now the painting is finally finished.

The Genie Bottle, 16x20, oil


I am so happy with both of these paintings now.  Some paintings just flow off of your brush, but others take time and I've learned that there is nothing wrong with that.  When the right elements showed up, everything clicked into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment