Last week, I did a bit of updating to the paintings that I shipped home from Scottsdale. Since I had very limited time with the poses, I didn't bother too much with the backgrounds, figuring that I could take care of them later.
This was the painting of Kyla when I took it out of the box. While in class, I just threw some alizarin on the background to get it in, but I spent the rest of the time on the model. I knew I would need to add more color once the painting arrived home. I also had to fix the spots on the four corners of the canvas. In order to mail the painting home, I rolled up balls of blue tape and put one in each of the four corners, then I place another canvas of the same size on top. The tape keeps the canvases separated for the trip home.
The background on this painting needed a few coats as alizarin is a very transparent color, but after applying the first and then letting it sit a few days, I was able to apply enough color to get the background into shape.
The photo above is the first coat on the background and below is the finished piece.
Next up, my painting of Dani. This painting consisted of two three hour poses, so again, I mostly ignored the background.
Since this painting had my familiar green background, the color mix was french ultramarine, transparent red oxide, and cadmium yellow light. No transparent colors were used, so I just needed one coat to finish up the painting.
Having a finished background really makes a difference. It can be hard to finish up a painting after a workshop, but luckily in this case it worked out.
I'm currently in the middle of two still life paintings. I hope to have at least one of them to show you soon.