Sunday, November 24, 2013

My Big Painting Adventure: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico!

Hello Everyone.  I'm so glad to be back to blogging.  I know I have been gone for awhile.  The reason is that I went on a 10 day painting trip to Mexico!  It was a great trip and I can't wait to tell you all about it.

Phil Levine Workshops ran the trip and the teacher was my teacher, Gregg Kreutz.  How could I not go?  It has been years since I have been on a painting trip so I was very excited.

We spent our time in San Miguel de Allende, a beautiful town recently voted the number one city in the world in the Conde Nast Magazine reader poll.





These are some photos from the car leaving Mexico City.  The highway was busy and crowded leaving the airport, but eventually gives way to mountains and desert.







A few hours after landing we were in beautiful San Miguel.  San Miguel is a small city with a good sized American expat population, and after spending 10 days there I understand why people choose to retire or have second homes there.  The weather is great (75 degrees there today vs. 28 in NYC), it is very clean, the people are friendly and there is a great free spirited vibe about the place.


Sunset was soon after we arrived.  Every night was more beautiful than the last.




This is the view we saw the first morning.  The blue sky was unlike anything I've ever seen.



I heard some barking and this guy was looking down at me from his roof top.  Such a cutie.

Our first morning started off with Gregg doing a demo for us.  He did a two hour painting of the lovely Victoria in the outdoor studio of our B & B.

The block in


Adding detail



Placing the shadows










End of the demo

After Gregg's demo, we set up our easels to paint Victoria.  I made a good start, but it takes awhile to paint a complete portrait and unfortunately Victoria was unable to pose for us again.  

This was just the start of a great painting week.  Tomorrow I will show you some of the spots we painted in around town and out in the desert.  

Hope everybody is doing well.  See you tomorrow!

Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment