Thursday, May 23, 2013

Mentoring With The Masters At The Salmagundi Club

Hi everyone.  Last week I attended Mentoring With The Masters day at The Salmagundi Club here in New York City.

There were four master artists in various rooms of the club and the students and teachers could wander about and paint where ever they wanted.  Since my teacher was one of the mentors, of course I went to the event.  I never get a chance to paint interior scenes, so this was a first for me.  It was great fun and I learned a lot, including some elusive perspective skills!

Gregg was set up in the basement so I went down there as well.  The basement of the club is a fun spot with a bar, tables and pool tables.  The proceeds from the event went to refurbish the pool tables.  Here is a shot of the room.




The shot above includes Blaine, our model for the day.  Each room had it's own set up and model, but we were having such a fun time down in the basement that we all stayed there for the duration of the event.


This is my original sketch on to the canvas.  As I said, perspective is not my strong suit, but luckily Gregg was there to remind me about the vanishing points.  Also, he had a T-square, which really saved the day.


The block in.  It took me awhile to get going as I had never painted an interior scene before, but once I figured it out, it was really fun.




Here are some of the other painters.  Everyone did a great job and had a lot of fun.



Around noon we had a lunch break which gave my panel some time to dry, so when I got started again I was really able to get some paint on it.


This is what I ended up with at the end of the day.  Not too bad considering it was a one shot session of something I had never done before.  I would love to be able to go back for another session to really finish it up, but it was such a great learning experience that I don't mind the unfinished canvas.

Painting by Gregg Kreutz

This is Gregg's painting.  Yes, he managed to do all this while helping the rest of us.  Amazing. 

This was a really fun day and I'm so glad that I got to take part in the event.  I'm hoping this is the first of many interior paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment