Friday, May 31, 2013

Impressionism, Fashion and Modernity At The Metropolitan Museum Of Art

This past Monday, I made it just in time (literally) to see the Impressionism, Fashion and Modernity show at the Metropolitan Museum.  The show combined two of my favorite things, art and fashion, and I throughly enjoyed it.

I've done a lot of reading and research about the Impressionist painters, but this is one aspect of their work that I never knew about.  According to what I read at the show, the painters consulted fashion illustrations and fashion photos and posed their models in the same way as these ads.  They painted on large canvases to show off the clothes, and many times the models were looking away.  The idea was that if the models were looking away, the viewer would notice the clothes first.

Aside from the beautiful paintings, there were dresses and fashion illustrations on display.  Unfortunately, since this was a special exhibition, no photography was allowed.  I only got one shot off before the guard caught me, so here are a few photos from the Met Museum website.

Camille, Claude Monet (courtesy MetMuseum.org)

Madame Louis Joachim Gaudibert, Claude Monet (courtesy MetMuseum.org)

The Millinery Shop, Edgar Degas (courtesy MetMuseum.org)

My one quick shot of a dress on display
The very lucky Heather of Habitually Chic was invited to a semi-private tour and was allowed to take photographs, so please click over to her site to see more.

You can also purchase the catalog from the show here.

I really enjoyed this show.  Not just for the beautiful paintings, but because I learned something new about artists I have admired for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment